Board of Directors Nominations and Elections
Interested in becoming a Board Member?
We are always looking for qualified and experienced members who are interested in standing for election to the board. Generally, Lakeland Credit Union is seeking directors with a broad range of business knowledge and depth of experience, as well as an understanding of the credit union’s strategic direction, principles and values. Potential candidates should be able to demonstrate and provide the ability to:
- Deal with business, financial and social issues at a corporate level
- Think critically, problem-solve creatively and work on a team
- Devote the necessary time to prepare for and attend board and committee meetings and other related activities
If you would like to become a member of our board, please contact Tina Johnson at 780-812-3610.
2023 Nomination Applications are now open.
Lakeland Credit Union is looking for 3 directors, each for a three-year term.
Applications must be received no later than January 4, 2023.
Applications must be marked confidential and submitted via:
Mail or Drop off in branch:
In Person to a member of the Nomination and Elections Committee:
Why would you want to be a Board Director at Lakeland Credit Union?
This volunteer position is a three year commitment and has varying responsibilities depending on which committee the Director is involved. Among others, the benefits of joining the LCU Board of Directors and a successful credit union in the heart of the Lakeland region include:
- Develop and enhance your leadership skills
- Share your business insight and skills
- Gain an opportunity to participate in strategic LCU community investment and partnerships
- A deep sense of accomplishment and pride in results
We do not have an exact resume for the ideal Director. We aim to develop a Board that represents a wide range of skills, experience, interests and cultures. Our current Board is comprised of male and female entrepreneurs, professionals, non-profit founders, and retirees, in their 30's to 70's. However, Board candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member in good standing for a period of one year or greater
- Be bondable
- Have an acceptable credit history
- Not be an employee of the credit union, nor an employee of the credit union in the past 5 years
- Not be an employee or Director of a competing financial institution
- Must not be in breach of his/her oath of office as a Director, including but not limited to confidentiality of credit union information
Why Vote for your Board of Directors?
One of the many benefits of credit union membership is your ability to vote for the Board of Directors. As a member-owned, member-led institution, our Board is comprised of your fellow members; members you choose through an annual voting process.
- The Board of Directors approves the direction your credit union takes.
- They’re directly responsible for our strategic and business plan direction which acts as Lakeland Credit Union’s roadmap to achieving long-term success and a prosperous future.
- The policies the Board of Directors approves impacts YOU.
- Very few places you bank, or do any business with, encourage you to vote for the people who steward the strength of the organization.
You must meet the following requirements to vote:
- 18 years of age or older
- A member of Lakeland Credit Union
- 60(2) Subject to subsection (6), of the Credit Union Act, only members are entitled to vote.
- A member may vote only once, unless a member is also a designated representative of a business. Then the member may vote once on their personal membership and once for the business, to a maximum of two votes.
- Voting can be cast in person on iPads provided at a Lakeland Credit Union branch, or on the voter designated website. Proxy voting (casting a vote on behalf of another member) is not permitted.